Wolf RPG - Completed - DIDDOG ~Escaping The Confinement [1.01][cherehouse]

1. 1.00 star(s)

Beggarman

I don't want to be too harsh, because this ultimately is a free game and the DiD genre is incredibly underserved. However, this game hits quite a lot of really bad mechanical tropes in the genre, and there's not enough content to actually make up for fighting your way through the frustration of invisible containers and frustrating chase mechanics. I really do hope the dev does try something else in future though.

For the positive, the art is decent. It's basically in-line with the screenshots all the way through. The translation is also pretty solid, as always from 12. The content is also front-loaded to the less frustrating side of the game.

For the negatives... oh boy.

Content wise, there's really not a lot. I would really give the game the "No Sexual Content" tag, as the only thing that comes close is a single pissing-yourself scene - It's a bit fetish-bait-y but I don't really see anyone playing this and finding themselves especially horny unless they're incredibly naive to the genre. There seems to be a couple of implied bad ends, but they can't actually be done, and the game basically just hints at them.

Story is incredibly simple; You're just trying to escape from some sort of yandere younger girl. There's not much to it - I assume this is a side-game in another series or medium, or you're just supposed to take the tropes and fill in the blanks yourself.

Gameplay-wise, the game is split broadly in two, with a small mini-section to begin with. The mini-section just has you spam options until a timer passes, then the girl thinks up an extra option that helps her escape. The first main section is a fairly basic Isometric puzzle-solving affair - the puzzles themselves aren't too difficult, and my main issue with it is that some necessary steps are in containers that aren't actually indicated in any way, and have tiny hitboxes, so you need to spam to find them. There's also an extra that reportedly can't be done without a JP keyboard - I couldn't work this out just by setting my keyboard settings to JP, FWIW.

The chase sequence is the second half of the game, and this is hair-pullingly-frustrating, even if you turn it down in difficulty. There's multiple stages to this chase, and the main highlights are - The first section is passable but a time-waster, the second requires absolute perfect manoeuvring which I don't think is possible in this game engine's movement mechanics without superhuman reflexes, the third section will outright bug out and have the MC lose even when you choose correct options, the fourth section is unpredictable and a run-loss if you fail but with a prolonged time to restart, and the fifth... just needs you to choose the right signposted option. However, the only thing here is the "Congrats, you escaped!" scene, so I guess you don't need to do it.

Overall; Again, I feel really bad being this harsh to a free, small game. I really do hope the dev does something serious, because they seem to have interest in this area. But for players - There really isn't enough content, the mechanics are frustrating, there's not much to actually see here anyway, and the second half just isn't suited to this engine.