fuckmcgee

Jun 3, 2018
Welp, I wrote a simple java program to search through the game's content and print out a full scene tree and some preliminary analysis on the types of scenes available. Here's a brief overview for those who are curious (like I obviously was). This info pertains only to the female version of Devious World, although the program would likely work on the other versions as well (I just haven't bothered to do so).

Total count of events referenced (including dead ends and placeholders): 6376
*These would be the number of links within the game

Count of unique event names: 2527
*The number of unique event IDs in the game's code that actually have some form of content attached (specifically, the number of matches for this regex: <div tiddler=\"(?<name>\w+)\".*?>(?<content>.*?)<\/div>)

Number of true dead ends (Those with ONLY placeholder links): 623
*Self explanatory

Number of events with at least ONE usable branch:1802
*Self explanatory

Number of orphan links: 102
*Number of events that exist in the code, but aren't referenced by any game events, and thus don't matter for my analysis

If you want I could probably generate a full choice tree as well, but I don't know how useful that would be to anyone.
Do you know how many branches lead to game overs? I feel like that's the only way story lines are concluded, unless I'm mistaken.

Decckar

Aug 24, 2017
Do you know how many branches lead to game overs? I feel like that's the only way story lines are concluded, unless I'm mistaken.
There's at least 1 good end in Cyan's space ranger route, though it's got a ton of game overs along the route too. I think there's another, but I don't remember.

The vast majority of them are indeed bad end game overs, though

lolz008

Dec 13, 2019
Well, per my post there were 623 events with only dead links (true dead ends). You can likely assume that the number of events minus the number of unique event names closely approximates the number of dead ends. So maybe 3000+ dead ends? Idk, its been a bit since I looked at that code, but based on what I wrote that should be correct.

If you look at the scene tree everything with !!! surrounding it is a dead link/end.

Privitarium

Oct 25, 2017
Well, per my post there were 623 events with only dead links (true dead ends). You can likely assume that the number of events minus the number of unique event names closely approximates the number of dead ends. So maybe 3000+ dead ends? Idk, its been a bit since I looked at that code, but based on what I wrote that should be correct.

If you look at the scene tree everything with !!! surrounding it is a dead link/end.
There are a few gameovers/bad ends that have a link that send the reader back a step or more to the last decision point. Don't know if that makes a difference to your code.

lolz008

Dec 13, 2019
There are a few gameovers/bad ends that have a link that send the reader back a step or more to the last decision point. Don't know if that makes a difference to your code.
If I remember correctly I didn't have to worry about it, because only things that linked to no content (i.e., the referenced link doesn't actually exist) were counted as a dead link. Honestly I think the best way to get an exact count would be to go to the text file and run a regex search for !!!.*?!!! and count the number of matches. Using notepad++ I got 3846 matches, which is very close to the estimate the method I stated arrived at.

Reactions: Massah

Privitarium

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly I didn't have to worry about it, because only things that linked to no content (i.e., the referenced link doesn't actually exist) were counted as a dead link. Honestly I think the best way to get an exact count would be to go to the text file and run a regex search for !!!.*?!!! and count the number of matches. Using notepad++ I got 3846 matches, which is very close to the estimate the method I stated arrived at.
I think I understood: in other words, only red links ping, right? Either way, I realised that any difference to the count those specific endings would make will be negligible.

2.80 star(s) 55 Votes